a penny for your...

Sunday 28 November 2010

Tents From Spread Tables


If it wasn't for the fact of night and my ticket, I would have wondered how it was that i found myself in the middle of a plot of Mercedes and Audis - a veritable showcase of cars cooling to accept the Mancunian frost on offer; free of charge...

But fact it was, so i queued on kind invite and managed to resist the swell of security and volunteers asking which table i was supposed to be sitting at, before taking my seat with friends.

Things took time to warm up - the hosts 'on de mic' used tactics more characteristic of any big fish little fish cardboard box event - and thus; seemed at times, far from the madding crowd of fund raising for the floods which devastated Pakistan - the reason for the event...

The Venue was furnished with large screens and poor lighting. Mr Khan, when he arrived, was within a bubble of suited ushers who provided route through the cheap seats and into the inner sanctum of the 'expensives', to take his seat while various select individuals graced the stage to address not-many-of-the-attendees, which was a great shame, as the sound dispersal was strictly speaking; poor, when counterbalanced against the bulk of equipment dropped at not-so-strategic grid references around The Venue.

Films poured from the big screens of river waters ripping through towns, concrete collapsing, crowds of people stood stock still as lifetimes of debris swept passed en route to somewhere else. I know the figures for this tragedy; I learned of them from the comfort of my laptop sofa seat. I am shaking my head now reflecting at the devastating magnitude of the Rain. This tragedy is immense and under reported - the UK seemingly more interested in the X Factor and why we are in the clutch of below ZERO temperatures and SNOW (hint - isn't that because it's Winter?), than the plight of our fellow human beings seven hours flight from here...

A good friend of mine used to play cricket with a passion at County level. By text, he described Imran Khan as a legend, and that he would present as a man with an 'Aura'. I can but agree with my friend on this point, as Mr Khan did indeed present in this way. Even from our seated distance though, it was such a shame, for my mind, that the overall organisation of the event wasn't sharper thus making the most impact in terms of raising funds for tents from spread tables.

There was however, a BIGGER agenda being ladled here - the issue of Mr Khan's ascendance - by predication - to the seat of office in Pakistan to promote the trigger pull for massive change needed for Pakistan, and to move away from it's increasingly cobwebbed interactions with the US...

I could be wrong however in my assumption, as I couldn't exactly hear what was being said, and therefore I stand accused in the shadow of my naivety.


Time, as they say, will tell all - though time does not measure equally between political machines and individual need - the latter, being perpetually stripped bare of bureaucracy is the more immediate, and thus, exists without the luxury of lies.

No comments: